Tudhoe Village

Tudhoe & Spennymoor Local History Society

Spennymoor High Street

Origins of the Tudhoe & Spennymoor Local History Society

Tudhoe & Spennymoor Local History Society 8th May 2000.
TSLHS committee 8th May 2000.
Click to see a larger image

Tudhoe & Spennymoor Local History Society owes its existence to the late Joyce Urwin (1937-2014) who, in October 2010, became our second President. It was she who mounted an exhibition at the Tudhoe Show in September 1988 proposing the formation of a local history society in Spennymoor. On 16th December that same year she hosted the inaugural Committee meeting of the newly formed Society in her shop, Poppies, situated in King Street, Spennymoor. Since 1989, the Society's meetings have been held monthly, initially in Tudhoe Community Centre and later in St. David’s Parish Hall, Tudhoe, where attendances now regularly number around fifty.

At that meeting in 1988 it was resolved that William Fleming (1920-2014) - whose Great Grandfather had become the first Land Agent for the Croxdale Estate after travelling down from the Borders by stagecoach to take up the position on 2nd January 1844 - be elected the Society’s first President. Duncan MacIntosh was made Chairman while other appointments included Joyce Urwin as Secretary and Treasurer, Maureen McKellar as Meetings Secretary and John Banham and Tony Smith as Meeting Recorders.

Since that time the Society has had three further Chairmen – Tony Coia, Joyce Urwin and Tony Smith - while Sylvia Wright and John Banham took over Joyce Urwin’s duties of Secretary and Treasurer respectively when she became Chairman. In 2014, Donaldson Rippon, who has organised the Society's publicity for many years, became our third President.

Hosted by DurhamWeb.