24th Apr 2017 at 7.30pm - Peter Barron - Cloudy, Rain Later.
22nd May 2017 at 7.30pm - Chris Ruskin - The Lost Farms of Weardale.
Talks are normally held at 7:30pm on the fourth Monday of each month at St. David's Church Hall, Tudhoe, DL16 6LL. Meetings are open to non-members at a charge of £2.00. See our Full Programme for 2017.
The Cornish exhibition, including his studio, has recently opened at the Bob Abley Gallery at Spennymoor Town Hall. Beamish Museum are currently building a copy of his house and studio in the new 1950s section of the museum.
To see more details of his exhibitions and examples of his work go to the Official Norman Cornish website.
Events at Durham Cathedral.
15th July 2017 - Yesterday Belongs to You at Beamish Museum - A return of this popular event organised by County Durham Forum for History and Heritage.
Full Members - £12.00
Concessions - £10.00
(retired, students and unwaged)
See our Membership page for details of how to join or contact the Society.
Hosted by DurhamWeb.
HELP We have recently had a request for old photos of North Close but have been unable to find any.
Martin from Teddington is interested in John and Martha Adamson who lived at Woodhouse Farm Whitworth in 1851, described as Farmer of 180 acres. He previously lived in Wolsingham in 1841 and by 1861 was widowed and living in Black Horse Public House as innkeeper and farmer of 160 acres. His son John lived in Black Horse Cottage.
This month we have a picture of a happy group of Farmers & Tradesmen at a Fancy Dress Dance.
Click to see a larger image. If you have any information relating to our photos or any photos we could add to the archive please email us at TSLHS.
This image is protected by copyright licensing regulations and is for personal use only, it cannot be copied, published or distributed.
The Society was formed in 1988 and its aims are to organise an annual programme of talks and outings and attend events promoting local history.
Situated on the south side of the Wear Valley, midway between the ancient settlements of Bishop Auckland and Durham, Spennymoor only came into existence during the mid 19C. Previously, eight villages, all now satellites of this small market town, surrounded the open common known as the Spenny Moor. Most of these, including Tudhoe, already existed when the Boldon Book, the North East’s equivalent to the earlier Domesday Book, was compiled in 1183.
650 years later, exploitation of County Durham's mineral wealth, principally its huge reserves of coal, began to help satisfy the needs of Britain's industrial revolution. This resulted in the creation or expansion of many towns and villages in the eastern half of the County. Spennymoor is one such example of this change.
By 1840, coal pits were being sunk around the Moor, soon accompanied by houses to accommodate the ever growing number of miners. An iron and steel works quickly followed, established here to exploit the large quantities of coal now being produced around the expanding settlement. While never completely absorbing any of the villages, it is now physically linked to Tudhoe.
By the turn of the 20th Century coal and steel had long given way to service and manufacturing industries while the expanded town now also functioned more widely as a dormitory to the large coastal conurbations set around the mouths of the Tyne, Wear and Tees.
Research into the history and people of Tudhoe and Spennymoor.
Photo Archive - over 1,000 photographs of Tudhoe, Spennymoor and surrounding areas.
Hosted by DurhamWeb.